Now that fall is in the air, it is the perfect time to cozy up to some classic flicks. High school movies are always a great go-to for me this time of year. There’s something about the fall “back-to-school” energy paired with the coming-of-age nostalgia that is so comforting. Here are my top 8 High School Classic Movies, broken down:
1. The Breakfast Club - Arguably the most iconic coming-of-age teen film of the 1980s. Featuring members of the famous “Brat Pack” who spend a fateful Saturday together in detention.
2. Mean Girls - Lindsay Lohan plays a naive teenager entering the fierce social hierarchy of high school. This movie is cast to perfection and is truly hilarious.
3. Grease - Good girl Sandy meets bad boy Danny in this classic musical about teens in love in the 1950s. A fun sing-a-long feel-good movie that you cannot help but fall in love with.
4. American Graffiti - This drama / comedy teen film looks at the world of cruising and rock ’n’ roll culture in the 1960s. So many (young) great actors, and surprisingly - written and directed by George Lucas (before Star Wars!).
5. Bring It On! - What do you get when you combine cheerleading, high school, and comedy ? The answer my friends: Bring It On! Kirsten Dunst gives one of her best performances as “cheer captain” in this peppy 2000 American teen classic.
6. Clueless - Hilarious, entertaining, and iconic 90s- Clueless is one of the best high school movies out there. The story follows protagonist Cher - a shallow and popular high school student who discovers her own feelings of love towards her disapproving ex-stepbrother whilst playing matchmaker to others. Fun fact: this movie was inspired by Jane Austen’s 1815 novel: Emma.
7. Sixteen Candles - Teen icon Molly Ringwald stars in this quintessential 1980’s Brat Pack film. The plot centres around angst-ridden Samantha (played by Molly) - whose 16th birthday is overshadowed by her sister’s upcoming wedding.
8. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - This 1980’s high school comedy is a classic- even though it takes place mostly outside the high school ! It follows school slacker Ferris and his friends skipping the day of classes, in exchange for some wild escapades.
Happy movie watching ! :)